Prologue: So I’ve always kind of disliked the director David O. Russell. He had all those movies Jennifer Lawrence is in like Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and more recently Joy. He also did I Heart Huckabees in the 90’s but who gives a shit? i didn’t see that movie. I just know there’s a video of him getting mad at Lily Tomlin and he starts throwing things around the set and yells at her like a 5-yr-old yells at their mom when they can’t get ice cream. I’m serious, look up the video it is pathetic.
So I found out that Mr. Russell likes to yell at women on set for fun or something stupid idk i hate him. i come to find out he did this to the actual love of my life, Amy Adams. He verbally and emotionally abused her. And I mean…Have you seen her? Doesn’t she just LOOK like she’d be the kindest person on the planet? But like anyways. People knew about this, everyone knew about this. it got so bad Christian Bale had to tell him to fuck off and leave Amy alone. She’s talked about it in interviews! and how she doesn’t want to work with him ever again because she just can’t handle that kind of…assault. She said that she isn’t like Jennifer Lawrence, things don’t just roll off her shoulders (i guess that’s why J Law is in every recent Russell movie…cuz she can handle his BS, but like…she shouldn’t have to ya know). she doesn’t just shrug it off, things get to her easily. I also personally find it funny its always the girls on set being yelled at…and the male costars having to tell David to calm down.
For those of you who don’t know, Amy freaking Adams is probably my actual favorite actress ever in modern day American film. The rest of this is basically a series of tweets i drafted and didn’t tweet because it was like 4 in the morning.
- Amy Adams is important to me. For a few reasons. I think she, as a person, is a challenge to our ideas of a “strong female in Hollywood”
- I have a hard time describing Amy Adams because the only word I have is “soft”? & by that I do NOT mean “weak” I mean she’s so damn GENTLE.
- She’s a strong woman right? But w/o the stereotypical attitude of “oh nothing bothers me idc what anyone says fuck the world”
- She cares. She listens. She takes it all in. She’s not v loud or aggressive. She’s serene & assertive. Just listen to her regular tone of voice:
- Just…listen. <<<< she is so cute and adorable and honest and it just sounds like every word she says has purpose.
- She seems like she puts her foot down when she had to but is still occasionally more fragile than like… J Law or even Reese Witherspoon
- I like to say Cate Blanchett always plays very ethereal characters. Well Amy Adams is an ethereal human. That’s actually just who she is.
- DOES THIS NOT PERFECTLY DESCRIBE AMY, AM I WRONG? OK? BOI COOOOME ON? (i got the definition from google duh)
Ethereal: extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.
- also watch her Variety interview w/Andrew Garfield. They get REALLY into spirituality & a little existentialism. SHE’S SO ANGELIC Y’ALL.
- two beautiful souls <<<<< watch it, its incredibly indicative of Amy’s personality i think
- I say ALL THAT to say: I’m imagining this director yelling at her relentlessly & emotionally stressing her out purposely. For amusement?
- He tried to break her… For a film. For a better performance. & to someone who is so often calm & tranquil, that must be horrific
- Here’s an article about it and some stuff she says about crying most days on set. it should break your heart:
Epilogue: this is half me spewing about my admiration for this beautiful actress and half me letting out all this negativity in my body from the assault allegations coming to light….finally coming to light. One day I’ll write something about my deep love for Amy and why I think she’s such a perfect example of how ELSE a woman can be a “strong character” and not just like how James Cameron thinks women in film should be. And maybe one day I’ll go on about sexual assault and abuse & how its ingrained into American society and how media perpetuates it and the patriarchy and etc. real deep stuff.